Avanti: iMlango project
The overarching aim of the iMlango project is to improve educational outcomes of 180,000 marginalised schoolgirls across 245 schools within Kenya in maths, literacy & life skills by delivering access to digital education services & content.
Additionally the project aims to improve the Quality of Teaching in Literacy and Numeracy using effective ICT by primary school teachers. The key components include:
- High-speed satellite internet providing interactive resources for teaching and learning.
- Labs equipped with computers, teachers’ laptops/projectors, and servers.
- Digital Learning materials in literacy, numeracy, life skills and other areas.
- A Personalised-Adaptive Maths Learning Platform allowing each child to learn specific to their own needs and learning levels.
Whole-class digital materials for literacy & numeracy to support teachers.
- Professional development through regular in-school support and in-service sensitization.
Students who have access to the satellite-enabled individualised learning platform for 60 minutes per week improve their “maths age” by, on average, 18 months in their first year of access. In marginalised communities, they are able to double learning progress rates and improve attendance records. Over time the progress rates for students using the platform has consistently improved and has always been above the Kenya baseline rate.